Adopted by the Letten Foundation and the Young Academy of Norway on 14 March 2018.
1. The main purpose of the Letten Prize is to recognise younger researchers’ contributions in the fields of health, development, environment and equality in all aspects of human life. In the spirit of Letten F. Saugstad, the prize aims to raise public awareness of how research can be used to solve global human development challenges.
2. The Letten Prize is a collaboration between the Letten Foundation and the Young Academy of Norway:
2.1 Letten Foundation bears financial responsibility for the prize, and funds
2.1.1 the award to the prize winner
2.1.2 events in connection with the awarding of the prize
2.1.3 the administrative running of the prize
2.2 The Young Academy of Norway bears academic responsibility of the prize and ensures:
2.2.1 broad national and international support for the Letten Prize
2.2.2 scientific content at events connected to the awarding of the Letten Prize
2.3 Representatives from the boards of the Letten Foundation and the Young Academy of Norway constitute the Board of the Letten Prize. The Board of the Letten Prize appoints the chair and members of the Letten Prize Committee as well as an administrator for the Letten Prize.
3. The Letten Prize Committee consists of both younger and more established researchers and recognised experts within the fields of health, development, environment and equality in all aspects of human life. The committee consists of up to six members, of whom between one and three are to represent the main regions of the world.
4. The Letten Prize Committee members are appointed for two years. The chair is appointed for four years. Committee members may be re-appointed once. The committee is to be gender balanced, interdisciplinary and have representatives from all over the world. If a member withdraws during the period of appointment, a new member will be appointed for the remainder of the period. The committee’s working language is English.
5. If the Letten Prize Committee does not find a worthy winner one year, the prize shall not be awarded.
6. The Board of the Letten Prize designates a winner on the basis of the recommendation of the Letten Prize Committee.
7. The statues of the Letten Prize can be amended by the Board of the Letten Prize.